Saturday 9 April 2011

These are a few of my favourite things......and pet hates

# When I'm feeling sad, I simply remember my favourite things.......

Firstly welcome back. Well I say back, I never really left if I'm honest. More like sat back on my heels to watch the dust settle, John Wayne style.
Secondly, thankyou for inspiring me to write more of my numpty thoughts. And so I'm back for a second series, by popular demand which makes me smile.
For this blog, I thought I would share with you some of my favourite things. They aren't highfalutin or high class, you know me by now, simples.com. Also some of the things that don't float my boat...

Social Networking
I admit, hands up, I am addicted. Firstly in the good old days it was chat rooms (don't say you didn't do it, you lot!!) A right mixed bunch of funny characters. More funny peculiar than funny haha.
Then came Friends Reunited, where you caught up with school friends, many of whom you couldn't remember, or hated, or who bullied you. I did get a shock to see a bully who bullied me, who didn't even remember it when I told her. She was horrified.
You chat, exchange pleasantries, discuss the weather, old school stories and teacher memories, and then what? It then becomes a tad strange, you are totally different people now, you no longer share no the same fears/aspirations. There are long stony embarrassing silences and then it stops, you have no more to say.
Next was Facebook, I was so excited by this, and would spend hours on Farmville, the Zoo thingymajig and Mafia Wars. I loved the power for a while, then the strain of being a gangster by night with a huge ranch and a safari to tend during the day finally brought me to my knees. So there my account lies, abandoned, like a ghost town, my crops withered, my zoo animals running wild, my enemies will have "iced" me a thousand times over by now.
Then Twitter arrived. This passed me by for many years. I never really got it. At first I joined to follow an old friend, added a few celebrities, who never tweeted back or acknowledged anything I asked them. I went on it momentarily, but it was nothing special. But now WOW its like a major part of my life. The penny just dropped. A few interesting people arrived and the rest is history. I love its diversity of people, the humour from people who don't even realise they are funny, whose tweets get me through a day when its difficult or I am down. I have made what I consider to be true friends there. I feel warm in its company, supported, loved and surrounded by happiness. There are times when I think I am too sensitive for it, but I know I can never leave! Its under my skin.
I can be who I am, a numpty flirt! There are people going through such awful life crises there that it makes me count my blessings and thats no bad thing. So Twitter I adore you and long may you reign

Suits
I'm sorry I just don't "do" suits. Its generalising, I know, but i make no apologies for it. They just do not float Miss Jones boat. I don't care how smart or well pressed or shiny they are, they're just all wrong. As soon as I see one, my hackles go up, they irritate me. What are they all about anyway? I don't understand this power dressing malarkey. I tend not to trust a rep at work dressed to the nines any more than someone in a polo shirt and slacks. Its the person I am interested in and what they have to say. I always want to unloosen the tie, unbutton the shirt, they look so impracticable and uncomfortable!
Many of the "suits" I have encountered are during periods of commuting to work. They barge into the seat next to you, elbows out, non-tabloid newspaper halfway across your seat as well as their own. Or they cover spare seats with briefcases and other paraphernalia, and look as if you have asked for their wallet, if you say excuse me.
After a few months, I got fed up with these bad manners and I now stick my elbows out back, smile sweetly and remove their baggage to the table if they refuse, plomp down in the seat with a wry smile to myself.
Manners cost nothing and you do not have to wear a suit to have them.

Jeans and T-shirts
Now you're talking, this floats my boat. A guy in jeans and a T-shirt or polo shirt. Gorgeous, simples. I cannot emphasize how much I adore these. I will gaze at these all the time I am afraid, admiring the casualness of them. Not the baggy hip slung ones though (shiver) I'm sorry I just want to hoik them up so I don't have to admire their Calvin Klein label or more!! Any other jeans are fine. I love any shape/size as it is about a person within, in my eyes. I also have a thing for a guy who is in workmen apparel/uniform especially firemen (swoon). I do not go for smooth, a little rough around the edges is just fine.
To go with these, I adore aftershave. You can never put too much on for Miss Jones. I have been known to follow a guy just to inhale the aroma! My all time favourite is Acqua di Parma (inhales deeply and imagines.... mmmm)

Heat
"I'm just not cut out for this heat"
Miss Jones does not do blazing sunshine or blistering heat. It makes me very grumpy and discombobulated. I remember getting off a plane in Corfu, my first trip abroad, down the steps onto the ground. I thought to myself, why have they left the heaters from the Jet on, as I felt this furnace hit my face, to realise this was actually just Corfu in July, 35 degrees, I felt very daft. That holiday I loved the scenery, the people but hated the intense heat and burning sand. I get all hot and bothered, and my very pale skin burns if I am not careful. Strange, as I am very dark haired but pale skinned, a sensitive soul.
I panic if there is no shade, or a breeze and can never withstand those temperatures for long. I would love to go to Africa, as I would love to see the beautiful scenery and animals in the wild/Australia but I think I may swoon and have attacks of the vapours! Someone would have to scoop me up (that could be a bonus?!?!)

Old films and programmes
These I adore, I like nothing better than to curl up and ogle Cary Grant or admire Marilyn Monroe or Audrey Hepburn. I have been told by friends that I look a little like Audrey Hepburn. I dont see this myself, I do have almond shaped eyes though. I would love to have her beauty and vavavoom, I really admire her features and gracefullness and real attractiveness.
As a child I was brought up on Norman Wisdom and musicals. I would put my Mums swing coat on and dance around the room pretending to be a film star. I also believed if I climbed into the old wardrobe I would reach Narnia. I used to push the back of that wardrobe so hard that one day the back fell out! Alas I didn't find Aslan, but just a wall of woodchip behind.
I also loved Little House on the Prarie. I read all the books and connected with Laura, a bit of a numpty in pigtails. I follow the actress on Twitter and she is very vivacious. For those of you who read my diary, you will know why I loved Michael Landon, what a beautiful man inside and out.
I also loved Tony Hancock and Carry on Films. Numpty fun but an escape from the mad reality at times.

Well there you have it, a few of my favourite things.
Tune in next time when we will discover why Miss Jones has an Italian connection as well as other nationalities

# And then I don't feel so bad........#

3 comments:

  1. Absolutely brilliant Miss Jones :o))

    totaly with you on Social Networking,did all what you did too,except Farmville and Mafia wars lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im liking it a lot miss jones

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this because I can totally relate to you & I'm pleasantly surprised to discover that I agree with pretty much all of your likes/dislikes :)

    ReplyDelete